The Adventures of the Tader Tot's

Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving!

Thanksgiving! My grandma has been ill. She has brain tumor that was discovered over the summer. The weird thing is it is a fast growing tumor and probably started around the time the boys were born. With the long term prognosis not good for the type of tumor it is, we made our first deviation from our holiday plans to spend Thanksgiving in Dayton with my family. I knew it would probably be the last Thanksgiving that we would have to spend with her. In fact it was the first time since M and I started dating that we didn’t spend a holiday with her family. I know it made it hard on her but I don’t think they always recognize that I don’t get the opportunity to spend time with family at the holidays and how hard it is. I think M did a great job of explaining it to them and paps was so supportive and helpful to make the time we got to spend with mamaw special.

As far as the trip goes, it was extremely stressful for us. Uprooting and going to Dayton takes and extreme amount of effort on M and I’s part. I don’t think my family really respects the time it takes either. I think they think we can just do this all at the snap of a finger. Here’s a sample of what we got to do just packing wise, boys dressed and loaded, toys, breastfeeding pillow, pump, food, milk, formula, snacks, diapers, wipes, change of clothes, sleepers, and did I mention we haven’t gotten a bigger car and I could keep going as there is more. To top it off, Mamaw wasn’t having a good day but she left me with a memory I will cherish forever. Since having her surgery and the gradual decline, she has days where she isn’t always with it. Today she was tired and just not having a good day. My aunt and mom were helping here back to her room for bed with her walker. I was blocking the route she needed and my aunt told me to move or she would run me over, I said, “if she does I probably deserved it.” As Mamaw got right next to me she stopped and said,” You would have deserved it!” and then cracked a smile. I will never forget that smile she made after saying that to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home